The subject matter and content of topics offered is at the discretion of individual Mason Speakers. Views expressed are solely those of the individual speakers and are not, nor should they be construed as, made on behalf of George Mason University.
What is Mason Speakers?
Faculty, researchers, and administrators volunteer their time and expertise to present lectures and workshops on a multitude of topics. Any group or business in the Washington Metro area is welcome to invite a speaker to present a lecture at their site or remotely.
How much does it cost to have a Mason Speaker come to my organization?
It is free! Mason is committed to providing this service to the community that supports the University. We do require that organizations located more than 25 miles from the Fairfax campus reimburse the speaker’s travel expense at the rate of .56 cents per mile. However, if an organization is charging its attendees for the event, then we will connect the requesting organization with the speaker directly to determine a speakers fee and/or honorarium. Mason Speakers does not get involved in any payment between parties, and if a fee for attendance is involved, then it no longer becomes a Mason Speakers request, but rather a direct request with the speaker.
How do I go about scheduling a Mason Speaker?
To schedule a Mason Speaker, completely fill out the form found at https://masonspeakers.gmu.edu/request-a-speaker/. Please note that we do ask organizations to keep their requests to no more than three a year so we are able to spread our resources to many organizations without overtaxing our professors. Please submit your request at least three weeks prior to your event advertising start date.
What are the responsibilities of the host organization?
The organization that hosts the speaker is responsible for the following:
1. We ask host organizations to help us to get the word out about this community resource. Organizations are asked to include the following in any public relations material about the lecture:
“This lecture is made possible by George Mason University’s Mason Speakers. For further information contact https://masonspeakers.gmu.edu/ or call 703-993-8846.”
2. Give an accurate estimate of participants (speakers incur expenses reproducing handouts and prepare differently for various sized groups). We require a minimum of 20 attendees. We reserve the right to cancel the event if there are not enough audience participants.
3. Provide us with as much information as possible regarding your group so the speaker can tailor his remarks as appropriate.
4. Introduce the speaker – we will provide you with a short biography.
5. Provide AV equipment as outlined in the topic description.
What if I can’t find a speaker for the topic that I am looking for?
Please contact the coordinator, Traci Kendall at 703-993-8846 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. You are not necessarily limited to the topics that are listed. Sometimes speakers are willing to customize presentations for organizations.