The subject matter and content of topics offered is at the discretion of individual Mason Speakers. Views expressed are solely those of the individual speakers and are not, nor should they be construed as, made on behalf of George Mason University. Any questions or concerns as to the appropriateness of topics for a given audience should be directed to Sarah Gallagher, Mason Speakers Coordinator, at (703) 993-8761.
What is Mason Speakers?
Faculty, researchers, administrators, and alumni volunteer their time and expertise to present lectures and workshops on a multitude of topics. Any group or business in the Washington Metro area is welcome to invite a speaker to present a lecture at their site.
How much does it cost to have a Mason Speaker come to my organization?
It is free! Mason is committed to providing this service to the community that supports the University. We do require that organizations located more than 25 miles from the Fairfax campus reimburse the speaker’s travel expense at the rate of .56 cents per mile.
How often may I schedule a Mason Speaker? Each community organization may host a Mason Speaker up to three times per year.
What are the responsibilities of the host organization?
The organization that hosts the speaker is responsible for the following:
1. We ask host organizations to help us to get the word out about this community resource. Organizations are asked to include the following in any public relations material about the lecture:
“This lecture is made possible by George Mason University’s Mason Speakers. For further information contact http://communityrelations.gmu.edu/speakersbureau or call 703-993-8761.”
2. Give an accurate estimate of participants (speakers incur expenses reproducing handouts and prepare differently for various sized groups). We require a minimum of 20 attendees. We reserve the right to cancel the event if there are not enough audience participants.
3. Provide us with as much information as possible regarding your group so the speaker can tailor his remarks as appropriate.
4. Introduce the speaker – we will provide you with a short biography.
5. Provide AV equipment as outlined in the topic description.
What if I can’t find a speaker for the topic that I am looking for?
Please contact the coordinator, Sarah Gallagher at 703-993-8761 or at Sgallag5@gmu.edu. You are not necessarily limited to the topics that are listed. Sometimes speakers are willing to customize presentations for organizations.